Saturday March 2, 9AM - 4PM Santa Claus Beach, Carpinteria, CA. BYO painting gear! Santa Claus beach has convenient parking and beautiful views of the shoreline stretching west towards Santa Barbara with the mountains beyond.
If you have oil paints, a portable easel, and are ready to go, this is the class for you! I will start the day with a demonstration of my step-by-step painting process. You will then begin your own painting and I will spend the class time working one-on-one with each of you, tailoring my advice to individual experience levels and interests. Class is limited to 8 students.
Topics I will cover are:
- How to choose your subject and set yourself up for success considering any limitations you may experience due to time, shifting light, or changing weather.
- How to shift your observational skills for the purpose of translating the three-dimensional world onto a two-dimensional surface. (how to see abstractly)
- Common optical illusions and how they can affect your artwork
- How to work from general to specific using a step-by-step method for developing a painting.
- The importance of clear drawing decisions in the beginning stages of a painting.
- Understanding color in terms of value, hue, and chroma and how those qualities can be used to express depth in the picture plane.
- A brief introduction to different materials and how to use them. This will include supports, grounds, mediums, glazes, and pigments. A handout with this information will be provided.